Monolingual editing means that the text is checked from a linguistic point of view. Editing includes:
- grammar, spelling, punctuation check
- making the document accurate and consistent (e.g. terminology, abbreviations)
- improvement in style and readability
- making sure that the interinstitutional style guidelines and official terminologies are followed
- detection of missing elements and omissions
- checking the layout, formatting, page numbering, table of contents
- making sure that the text is ready to publish.
On request we can also check the document against specific company requirements.
The editing service is usually requested by consultancies, think tanks, various agencies preparing reports for EU-funded programmes, researchers working on lengthy essays or studies, companies with multinational teams or non-native technical writers, and anyone else creating content.
A pool of qualified linguists works on our editing projects. They are native speakers of the language of the document and have relevant experience in the field.
This task is usually carried out in MS Word format, and we deliver two files: a clean one and another with the changes tracked.
We prepare our offer based on the word count of the editable document, and the turnaround time strongly depends on the domain and complexity of the file.
Proofreading, or revision, means that the linguist checks the translation against the source document sentence by sentence. Proofreading includes:
- grammar, spelling, punctuation check of the translation against the source document
- making sure the translation is accurate and consistent (e.g. terminology, abbreviations)
- improvement in style and readability of the translation
- detection of missing elements, omissions in the translation and translation errors
- making sure that the translation follows the original text
- making sure that the interinstitutional style guidelines, official terminologies and background documents are followed during translation
- checking the layout, formatting, page numbering, table of contents of the translation
- making sure that the translation is ready to publish.
The proofreading service is usually requested when both the source document and the translation (produced by a different translation partner from Eurideas) are available, and our partner would like to eliminate errors in the translation, improve its style, consistency or readability, or wants to make sure that the formatting and layout of the translation match those of the source document.
We provide proofreading services through our professional translators. The task is usually carried out in MS Word or PDF, and we deliver the proofread file with our comments inserted.
Our offer for proofreading services is calculated per number of words in the source document or on an hourly basis.
Read our latest case study for Editing and proofreading.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further information.